Friday, January 10, 2014

Attempts at sewing

In an attempt to make my new bag more organized, and so I won't have to constantly dig for things, I decided to make a diaper and wipes clutch.  I saw a few on etsy but didn't want to spend the money.  So I looked for a pattern on Pinterest.  She didn't post an actual pattern and I did tweak it a little.
Diaper wallet clutch: http://www.jenniferkramer.ca/2011/06/27/a-sewing-sunday-afternoon/

I must say I had taken sewing lessons when I was around 10 and also a class in college, but I am still not confident in my sewing skills. My goal is to get better at sewing by the end of the year.  So I do apologize for the less than stellar stitches. 

I picked up some chevron fabric.  I bought a yard and a half which cost me a little more than $5, but I would have been fine with half a yard.  Being a beginner sewer I didn't know and took my moms advise, who has more experience, but does not sew often. 

I began by measuring our how much fabric for the back piece.  I took the wipes case and a diaper to measure the length.  I than cut out a two inch strip to sew onto the wrong side of the fabric.   This way I wouldn't have to double the fabric.


Next I cut out what would be the pockets. One that would hold the diapers and one for the wipes.  I made sure to have the wipes side pocket in two pieces.   
I sewed the seams.  One side for the diaper pocket and two sides for the wipes side.  I cut a small piece of fabric to attach the two pockets that would hold the wipes.  Sewed around the outside and turned out the pockets.  

I cut a piece of fabric to use for the button.  I had room on the diaper side of the clutch and stitched the fabric there to secure it.  I hand sewn a button onto the strap, I know there is some way to do this on the sewing machine but that is a bit more advanced than my skill level.  It took me about an hour and a half to complete this project so I'm sure for people with more experience this project would be such a breeze.  

I am very proud of myself for this project even if it isn't perfect.  I'm hoping to only get better as I keep adding new sewing projects.


So I'm off to take care of my little man.  Until next time my crafty friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment